MY ALL-TIME FAVORITED ROAST TURKEY RECIPE!

Zack Martin
Zack Martin
@zack-martin
11 years ago
70 posts

ROAST TURKEY RECIPE

My favorite Roast Turkey Recipe that I use every year at Thanksgiving, and also every other time we cook a turkey.

Roast turkey is a marvelous meat anytime of the year. If youre looking for a straight forward method of preparation but also something out of the ordinary, this recipe, with its old-fashioned appeal and many options, may be just what youre after.

Roast Turkey:

1 16 to 18 pound turkey
1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crumbled
2 teaspoons ground sage
2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
1 & teaspoons salt
1 & teaspoons pepper
Kosher salt
salt pork (optional)
Bacon (optional)
1 stick of butter, melted
Garlic powder
Paprika
1 can broth, for basting

Choose a plump turkey. Clean and dry thoroughly inside and out. Remove giblets and turkey neck from inside of turkey and rub liberally with kosher salt. Combine rosemary, sage, thyme, salt & pepper in small bowl. Rub some in each cavity.

Pack body cavity loosely with the stuffing (see below) you will be using, or prepare stuffing separately (do not stuff turkey until the last minute before cooking). If turkey is being stuffed, sow closed, or fasten with small lacing skewers and cotton string. Tuck in wings and fold tail in over the stuffing.

The skin over the breast of the turkey can be loosened and thin strips of salt pork may be placed just under the skin to keep the breast meat moist. The wings and thighs can also be wrapped with bacon strips, if desired. Brush the top of the turkey generously with melted butter, and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper (I personally use cracked black pepper), and paprika.

Roast turkey, uncovered at 375 F, basting frequently with melted butter and turkey or chicken broth, or pan juices. After 1 hour, baste and sprinkle with seasoning again, then make a tent with aluminum foil and cover breast loosely. Reduce heat to 325 F and continue roasting for another hour, basting occasionally.

Uncover breast and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of thigh registers 165 F (be careful not to allow the thermometer to hit a bone or the reading will be false). This will take about 90 to 110 minutes longer, depending upon the size of the turkey and the oven being used.

If you dont have an instant read thermometer, test to see if turkey is cooked by inserting the tines of a large fork into the upper thigh. If juice is not pink, the the turkey is done.

Stuffing:

Sometimes one may decide NOT to stuff the turkey, but cook along side of the turkey, if this is your desire place this in the oven during the last 45 minutes of roasting, along side the turkey.

1 lb. chicken gizzards, finely chopped
1 lb. pork sausage, crumbled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 garlic coves, minced
1 shallot
2 stalks celery, minced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
teaspoon sage, chopped
teaspoon paprika
Pinch of celery seed
2 & cups of chicken broth
1 stick butter
Pepperidge Farm Herb Cubed Stuffing Cubes
1-2 eggs
3-4 tablespoons parsley, chopped/

For a flavorful stuffing, saute finely chopped chicken gizzards and crumbled pork sausage in 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter with 2-3 coves minced garlic, 1 shallot, 2 stalks minced celery, 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, teaspoon chopped fresh sage, teaspoon paprika, and a pinch of celery seed. Add 2 & cups chicken broth and 1 stick butter. When butter melts, stir in 1 14oz. Package of Pepperidge Farm Herb Cubed Stuffing cubes. Mix well, remove from heat and quickly stir in 1-2 eggs, and 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.

Pack stuffing into a buttered baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, remove foil to allow stuffing to brown after turkey is removed by increasing oven temperature to 425 F.

This has been tested and tried yearly by myself, it works great, and is the best turkey Ive eaten (if I do make it myself). Options: you dont have to use salt pork slices or wrapped thighs & wings with bacon. You can or dont have to stuff the turkey. In fact I cook the stuffing in the oven beside the turkey during the last 45 minutes of roasting the turkey. We love it that way, and there is plenty of stuffing to go around for everybody.

YUM! YUM! THIS IS GREAT!
Zack Martin Sr.

--
In His Name,
Rev. Zack martin Sr.

updated by @zack-martin: 04/04/15 01:28:01AM

Tags

Dislike 0