I am a disabled minister with 40 years full time service for my Lord. I am a Licensed and Ordained Minister of Southern Baptist Faith. I have an Associates degree from Wallace Community College in Dothan, Alabama. and attended Baptist Bible Institute in Graceville, Florida (Majored in Theology with a Minor in Music). The name of the college has changed to Florida Baptist College. I have served 12 Churches in my 35 years of service. I served 11 as Minister of Music and Youth Pastor, and I also pastored one church for 4 years. I became disabled in 2006 at the age of 56 years old. I was prescribe a power chair in 2009 to get around in and it was then that I felt led to start a new ministry with Cds. My voice is about the only part of my body left that is any good, so I started recording Cds as a tool to witness for my Lord. Here is a link to JB's Indie Gospel Top Chart Radio Show that I appeared as guest on Marsha Sue Mitchell's radio program, http://www.blogtalkradio.com/marsha-sue/2012/09/14/new-creation-nation-radio-from-the-heart-of-country#.UFJVjlPiH4Q.facebook GET MY CD's at this link. http://zackmartinsr.weebly.com/ ALL I ASK IS A DONATION TO HELP WITH THE EXPENSES OF MAKING THEM. IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD A DONATION, I WILL SEND THE ONE YOU WANT ANYWAY. WHEN YOU GET IN THIS LINK, GO TO "ORDER CD's AND FILL OUT THE ORDER FORM LEAVING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! My favorite verse is 2 Cor 5:17 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. KJV.
Profile Tag Cloud:
The Work of the Holy Spirit
This is a sermon that I will preach on Sunday October 7th 2018 hete at Wesley Place on Honeysuckle Dothan Alabama.
The Work of the Holy Spirit!
Introduction: The Holy Spirit came to us after Jesus died on the cross and was buried and resurrected, and ascended to heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us. The Holy Spirit was sent to us as a helper and a teacher of our Christian faith. We are dependant on the Holy Spirit for so many things. We need to know what the Holy Spirit does, so this morning I want us to look at the work of the Holy Spirit. My Scripture today comes from John chapter 16 beginning in verse 5.
5. But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asks me, Whither goes thou?
6. But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
7. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9. Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10. Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11. Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak; and he will show you things to come.
14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
15. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take mine, and shall show it unto you.
Here are some of the works that the Holy Spirit does for us. I will mention at least three ways or things that the Holy Spirit does for us. First:
I. Christ’s departure was necessary to the Comforter’s (Holy Spirit) coming.
A. Sending the Spirit was to be the fruit of Christ’s death, which was his going away.
1. His bodily presence could be only in one place at one time, but his Spirit is every where, in all places, at all times, wherever two or three are gathered together in his name.
2. See here the office of the Spirit, first to reprove, or to convince. Reprove means: 1. to scold or correct usually gently or with kindly intent 2: to express disapproval of : CENSUREit is not for me to reprove popular taste—D. W. Brogan
3. obsolete : DISPROVE, REFUTE
4. obsolete : CONVINCE, CONVICT.
3. Convincing work is the Spirit’s work; he can do it effectually, and none but he.
4. It is the method the Holy Spirit takes, first to convince, and then to comfort. Do you remember how it felt when you first acceptrd Jesus as your Savior? What a comfort it was to know the Lord!
B. The Spirit shall convince the world, of sin; not merely tell them of it.
1. The Spirit convinces of the fact of sin; of the fault of sin, of the folly of sin, of the filth of sin, that by it (sin) we are become hateful to God; of the fountain of sin, the corrupt nature; and lastly, of the fruit of sin, that the end thereof is death.
II. The Holy Spirit proves that all the world is guilty before God.
A. He convinces the world of righteousness; that Jesus of Nazareth was Christ the righteous.
B. Also, of Christ’s righteousness, imparted to us for justification and salvation.
1. He will show them where it is to be had, and how they will be accepted as righteous in God’s sight.
2. Christ’s ascension proves the ransom was accepted, and the righteousness finished, through which believers were to be justified.
3. Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
C. All will be well, when his power is broken, who made all the mischief.
D. As Satan is subdued by Christ, this gives us confidence, for no other power of sin can stand before him.
1. And of the day of judgment.
E. The coming of the Spirit would be of unspeakable advantage to the disciples.
1. The Holy Spirit is our Guide, not only to show us the way, but to go with us by continued aids and influences. When we accept Jesus the Holy comes to live within us, in our hearts.
2. To be led into a truth is more than barely to know it; it is not only to have the notion of it in our heads, but the relish, and Savior, and power of it in our hearts.
3. He shall teach all truth, and keep back nothing profitable, for he will show things to come. I have learned many things in my education at Bible College, but I can testify of this one thing. I have learned more from the teaching of the Holy Spirit than I have ever learned at any school, Sunday school or college.
III. All the gifts and graces of the Spirit, all the preaching, and all the writing of the apostles, under the influence of the Spirit, all the tongues, and miracles, were to glorify Christ.
A. It behooves every one to ask, whether the Holy Spirit has begun a good work in his heart?
B. Without clear discovery of our guilt and danger, we shall never understand the value of Christ’s salvation; but when brought to know ourselves aright, we begin to see the views of the Redeemer, and more lively affections to him, if we more prayed for, and depended on the Holy Spirit.
IV. The Holy Spirit Bears Witness to our Salvation in Christ Jesus our Lord.
A. We know that we are saved because the Holy Spirit lives within us after we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.
B. It testifies within us about our salvation and all the things that Jesus wants from us to do within His Will for us.
Conclusion: There’s a hymn that we sing that says much of what needs to be said. “Jesus Is The Sweetest Name I Know.” The 1st verse says: “There’s within my heart a melody; Jesus whispers sweet and low, “Fear not, I am with thee, peace be still,” In all of life’s ebb and flow. That is the Holy Spirit of God telling us about Jesus. The Chorus says: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Sweetest name I know, Fills my every longing, Keeps me singing as I go. If we are saved we already know that the Holy Spirit of God lives within us, but this morning we have learned that He teaches us the things God wants us to know and understand. Do you let the Holy Spirit teach and lead you through out your life? When you pray, does that sweet voice of God speak to you? Are you aware of His power in your life as a Child of God? If you cannot answer yes to all of these questions, you are missing out on so many things that God wants you to know. We begin our Christian lives as Babes in Christ, it’s the Holy Spirit of God that leads us to maturity in Christ. But I see so many that are still Babes in Christ. So many that are missing out on God’s Will in their lives, simply because they aren’t allowing the Holy Spirit to do His work in their lives that He should be doing. Please I plead with you today, acknowledge His presence in you and seek Him as your teacher and leader! Then one day you can thank me for pointing you to the light WITHIN YOU that shares the Will of God to you.
God Bless Each of You. Let us Pray!
By: Rev. Zack Martin Sr.