The Study Of Revelation (Chapter 1)

Zack Martin
Zack Martin
@zack-martin
13 years ago
70 posts

Rev 1:1-3

(1) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants - things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, (2) who bore witness to the Word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. (3) Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near. NKJV

Introduction: I understand why people are afraid of the interpretation of Revelation, because it really isn't easily understood. However, it can be understood with some reasoning. What is being revealed? Verse 1 states it clearly that it is the Revelation of Jesus Christ! He gave it to John on Isle of Patmos, and instructed John to write everything down on scrolls to give to the seven churches of Asia. The word rendered is "apokalupsis" which is where we derive the word "Apocalypse" which means - properly an that is, nakedness; from apocalyptic, to UNCOVER. It applies to anything covered up, to be hidden from view, as by a viel, a darkness, in an ark or chest, ie. "The Ark Of The Covenant," and then made manifest by removing the covering. It comes then to be used in sense of disclosing or manifesting of anyting which was before obscure or un known.

The phrase "The Revelation of Jesus," might refer either to Jesus, as the subject or object. It probably means that Jesus is the object revealed in this book, that being so, the purpoase is to make Him known. It means that this is a revelation which Christ makes to mankind, that is, it is His in the sense that He communicates it to the world. That this latter is the meaning here is clear:

1. because it is expressly said in this verse that it was a revelation which God gave to him;
  2. because it is said that it pertains to things which must shortly come to pass, and,
  3. because, in fact, the revelation is a dissclosure of eyelets which were to happen, and not of the person or work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave it to John to show to His servants the things which must shortly come to pass. Ps. 90:4 "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night." KJV

This puts a day into different perspective, and we cannot put time on eternity, for you see Jesus in heaven has no concept of time. The important fact is that there are Revelations to be given to mankind before the return of Christ, and Jesus made these Revelations to John, instructing him to write them down. This is what Revelation is about, and so wth this we begin "The Church Age."

REV 1:9 - REV 1:11

(9) John, both your brother and companion in tribulations and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ. (10) I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, (11) saying, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last," and, "What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."

Rev 1:9 "Vision of the Son of Man!"

When John said, "Your brother and companion," he was speaking of a relationship we all share as Christians. He was talking to all of his Christian brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus.

Rev 1:9 "Companion in tribulations" Partners in afflictions, he and they were suffering substantially in the same kind of trials on account of their religion.

Rev 1:9 "And in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ" This means that he was speaking to those who werenot only companions in affliction, but were fellow partners in the kingdom of the Redeemer, and they shared the honor and privileges pertaining, and they were fellow partners in the "patience" of Jesus Christ. The general idea is, that alike in privileges and sufferings, they were UNITED. They shared alike in the results of their of their attachment to the Savior.

"Was in the Isle that is called Patmos" is where John was. John was banished to this Isle by Domitian in 94 AD. John was there and could NOT get away to anywhere else, so here is where Jesus came to him in a vision.

"For the Word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ" John didn't go there to bear testimony to Jesus Christ on that Isle, either by preaching or recording the visions in this book, he went there because he preached the DOCTRINE which testify of Christ!

Jesus comes to him and instructs him to write the things He shows John for the seven churches of Asia (a parable of sorts to ALL CHRISTIAN CHURHES) in this the beginning of the CHURCH AGE!

REV 1:17-20

(17) And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead, but He laid His right hand on me saying to me, " Do not be afraid, I am the First and the Last. (18) I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen! and I have the keys of Hades and of Death. (19) Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this. (20) The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches. NKJV

Conclusion of Chapter 1: S0then beganthe Church Age. Next I will share the messages and meanings of those messages to the seven churches,

--
In His Name,
Rev. Zack martin Sr.

updated by @zack-martin: 03/07/15 02:35:46PM

Tags

Dislike 0