Lewis Paul Tavenor
Lewis Paul Tavenor
@lewis-paul-tavenor
14 years ago
11 posts
am i to believe that my GOD andredeemeris going to burn and torture all those who's names are not written in the Lamb's book of life in eternal hell fire?
I would love some comments on this subject,, what do you believe?

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. (Albert Einstein)

updated by @lewis-paul-tavenor: 02/24/15 10:48:27PM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
14 years ago
5 posts
For me the question is not is there a hell - the Bible makes it clear that there is - but is it the way it is portrayed by most Christians.There are 3 schools of thought on this subject:1.A literal place of fire where the damned suffer eternal conscious torment (Eternal Torment)2.A metaphorical hell where the suffering is real but is not literally fire and brimstone. The pain may be physical, emotional or spiritual (Salvation of the whole world through Jesus Christ).3.Conditional where souls are punished until justice is met and then they are annihilated (Eternal Death - Annihilationism)The influence of Augustine and Calvin have made the first view dominate, but the second view was the majority view of the early Church.Modern proponents of the second view, include Tentmaker Ministries

--
Ken Rich
https://kenrich.me
Lewis Paul Tavenor
Lewis Paul Tavenor
@lewis-paul-tavenor
14 years ago
11 posts
Revelation 20:9 says, And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. This verse describes the actual event of hell fire and is NOT symbolic, and like John 3:16, it declares that the wicked will be devoured and perish, yet the very next verse appears to totally contradict which says, And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Note that this verse has symbolism and says that the devil and the beast (beast is symbolic) will be tormented forever in the lake of fire. But Ezekiel chapter 28 reveals a totally different picture. While initially discussing the ancient king of Tyre (Ezekiel 28:12), Gods prophet then looks behind the scenes and identifies Lucifer himself, the anointed cherub (verse 14), who inhabited Eden the garden of God (verse 13), and who was originally perfect in [his] ways from the day [he] was created, until iniquity was found in [him] (verse 15) Moving on to Satans final fate, God declares, I bring forth a fire from the midst of you, it shall devour you, and I will bring you to ASHES upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold you You have become a horror, and shall be no more forever
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
14 years ago
5 posts
There are many such verses which seem at first blush to support anihilism, or even the cold narrow determinism and eternal torture espoused by Calvin - if taken literally.Part of the problem, has to do with translation and mis-interpretation, part has to do with pre-conceived notions, which entered the collective Christian mindset due to the influence of a few key individuals.The Calvinistic model (influenced by Augustine), portrays God as evil in that he predestined (knowingly and willingly), to cast the vast majority of humanity (the Non-Elect) to be tortured in hell forever.The Arminian model portrays God as both weak and evil, in that he is incapable of triumphing over Satan and sinful man's freewill to do evil, and bring them to salvation - thus he is forced to torture them forever.Some within both camps opt for an anihilistic view, rather than eternal torture, which still leaves God's plan of salvation frustrated for the vast majority. Most men doomed to live out their miserable existence of sin and suffering, only to be destroyed - not exactly "Good News".A third view sees God's plan of salvation successful, but progressing through ages. The elect are saved in this age, the rest in another. Words translated as forever meaning "to the end of the age", and fire being purifying and beneficial, rather than vindictive punishment, or eternal destruction.The three camps exist because there are verses to support each, and verses that are hard to reconcile to each. At least in the third view, God is both loving and all powerful. His will to save all mankind is not thwarted, and he ultimately reconciles all of creation to himself (Col. 1:20)This article HERE expands a little on this line of thought.However, this is a topic that requires an in depth study to flesh out all the arguments made by the 3 opposing views. There is a more lengthy and scholarly work HERE

--
Ken Rich
Lewis Paul Tavenor
Lewis Paul Tavenor
@lewis-paul-tavenor
14 years ago
11 posts
Thank you for your quick and insightful response. I agree with you all the way on this, yet strangly enough, every Christian I know does not except this truth. I was born and raised Pentecostal and sat through to many fire and brimstone services to count. That mind set left me afraid of God and the whole salvation plan, I thought if this is true, then it is far better not to have been born. How sad it must be to be plagued by such a concept. To serve only out of fear. I thank God that he is a merciful, long suffering and forgiving. The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth.
Ruby Haskins
Ruby Haskins
@ruby-haskins
14 years ago
1 posts
Hi, have been going to church going on 11 yrs. now and I'm 70, late start. Regardless of what we believe about the hereafter it makes more sense to worship and serve God than not too. I can feel a lot happier and carefree doing what I know is right than selfislhly determining to have my own way regardless of others. The Bible sheds light on our behavior whether Godly or rotten.God helps us feel good about ourselfs when we relate to others as He intended.~Ruby
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
14 years ago
5 posts
Hi Ruby,I must agree with you. I can remember what it felt like to have a guilty conscience and negative self image, when I was lost in sin.It feels much better to have (like the song says) " a heart that's contented, a satisfied mind" "peace when your sleeping, and a conscience that's free "As a committed Christian there are trials and tribulations to face, it's a " bed of roses " that has many thorns. However, none are as cutting as guilt and self loathing.God disciplines us like sons and daughters, he purges in the furnace of affliction, he prunes us that we might grow and bear fruit. None of that is pleasant or easy, but it is rewarding, and it does make us feel good about ourselves.

--
Ken Rich
Robert T Sells
Robert T Sells
@robert-t-sells
14 years ago
4 posts
I agree with you Ruby because there are many Christian debates about what hell is really like. But here's what I know - John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son so that we may not perish, but have everlasting life". The other scripture is John 14:6 which says this, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'".So I know God loves the world with all His heart and it is not His will that any of us perish. And I also know that the only way to experience eternity with God is to accept Jesus Christ. Therefore since He made such and incredible sacrifice for me, then I will serve him gleefully, willingly, and with fortitude because I want to and because I love Him, not because I am afraid. However I do have a reverential fear of God, which combined with love, causes me to want to do His will.
Lewis Paul Tavenor
Lewis Paul Tavenor
@lewis-paul-tavenor
13 years ago
11 posts

do you believe that the father will burn all sinners for time unending?

I believe in hell but the Bible tells me that it is not eternal, but just for a short time.

Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
13 years ago
5 posts

Hi Paul,

My position is already stated above in detail, but to reiterate briefly:

The original Hebrew and Greek terms that were translated as eternal, everlasting and forever, would be better translated as until the end of the age or from age to age.

--
Ken Rich

Tags

Dislike 0