3 Little girls and a visit?

David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
There are some who teach , and even open their dialogue with "if you were to die today do you know if you will go straight to heaven?", and other protestants agree with the catholic teaching, "we do not know" some make it up as they go along with no regard to God's word at all, and some will read God's word, and then turn around and say"what I beleive this is saying is???" The conclusion I have been moved towards is that no one member, or no one particular group of beleivers of any part of the body of Christ has the whole thing figured out, and really understands the whole truth. To validate anything by scripture one would have to assume they completely understand it, and that constitutes infallability. Humility towards God's word demands that we pray and hope we have it right and only Christ sits on the white horse. I just see too many one sided love affairs these days, and the bible definately teaches we do not have Him, or His ways all figured out.
updated by @david-sanchez: 07/12/15 09:50:46PM
David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
O.K let us humble ourselves before God, and since we are not infallable please tell me some things from God's word you are not absolutely sure of, or maybe do not quite understand or just might have wrong? That would be very refreshing on this forum. As christian we should be able to be honest with one another concerning what we don't know for sure. Amen?
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
15 years ago
5 posts
Hi David,Even the greatest theologians grow and mature, sometimes changing their opinions on certain matters. Even Peter was rebuked publicly by Paul, because he was clearly in the wrong. Only God is all knowing.Personally, I started off indoctrinated into legalism, but later discovered grace. It's a growth process , and I am still learning, and far from perfect.2 Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. That being said, God has revealed the simple plan of salvation - grace through faith in Christ. There are still a great many things I would like to understand better, however the plan of salvation, the simple Gospel, is something we can all understand . It is revealed and recorded for us. We can know the truth, about that which is essential.John 8:32 You will know the truth and the truth will set you free One does not have to have all knowledge, and understand all mysteries, in order to be saved. The Gospel is simple, and plainly revealed, and we are encouraged to study the Scriptures.2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work . Historically, this is one of the best statements of the Protestant position.Westminster Confession of Faith VII. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all; yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed, for salvation , are so clearly propounded and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them. In reality, the scriptures themselves, are not what save us - only Jesus can do that. All of our studies are useless, if they do not lead to a personal, intimate relationship, with God. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for this.John 5 39-40 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life .In the end, what matters is that we are born of love.1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God . All of our knowledge, intellect, even our faith, is of little value if we do not love.1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge , and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. So my brother, though we do not see eye to eye on all things, though none of us can claim to understand everything, we can still love one another, and we can still know the plain and simple Gospel. Can Christians Really Know What is Truth and what is not? Truth: What It Is and Why We Can Know It With love and respect,Ken

--
Ken Rich
https://kenrich.me
Lewis Paul Tavenor
Lewis Paul Tavenor
@lewis-paul-tavenor
15 years ago
11 posts
David,up until very recently I was a sabbatarian, thanks to Kens site and many answered questions by him, I am no longer under law but under grace in what Christ did to relinquish me of my personal sins.I had a lot trouble with that one. I kept the seventh day Sabbath for over twenty years. What a revelation. I am still studying and still learning. Keep searching the scriptures!
David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
Amen! It is not about religion, it is about relationship. "Lest any man boast"
David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
I was not condoning nor do I personally worship anyone but God. I was only pointing to the fact that no matter what is written, and all of these documents you point to God is not restricted to the bible or our intellectual prowess, that is ridiculous the bible itself teaches that. If it is not in the bible that does not automatically make it untrue, and Jesus would agree. Many other things He did, and were not written in the bible, that is what the word says. My mentor is a protestant, and a bible teacher for 50 years. He and his wife Ruth are in their 90's, and I have never met a more God fearing, and humble man of God, and even he with all his study from the heart has many times said "I don't know for sure" But you don't even do that, if you would actually be honest and admit you do not have all the answers, and leave it at that it would probably be the only complete true statement I have heard from you, and that is not character assasination, just observation, and truth. Lets not be oversensitive. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, and power, and of a sound mind"
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
15 years ago
5 posts
Amen to that!!!

--
Ken Rich
David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
It is easy to redirect scripture towards something, or someone, there is no wisdom in that. I could do the same thing everytime someone sins. There is no certainty until we stand before Him, and then we will see what He says to those who have foolishly disrespected His MOTHER. Then you and I will know for sure. Consider that.
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
15 years ago
5 posts
Hi David,I can understand that as someone indoctrinated from a young age with Catholic teachings, you may have accepted the elevation of Mary as co-redeemer, sinless, ever virgin, queen of Heaven, assumed bodily into heaven, and so forth.However, the Bible does not teach those things , they were added later by the Popes. In the Bible, she was blessed among women to bear the Savior, but went on to have normal relations with her husband, and had other children.The Bible does not teach that she has any role in our salvation, which is through Christ alone. The danger is, in worshiping her, you are not directing your worship toward God. Mary is not God! There is nothing wrong with honoring Mary as the earthly mother of Jesus. The Bible describes Mary as "highly favored" by God (Luke 1:28). At the same time, ... The Bible nowhere instructs us to revere, pray to, rely on, or "idolize" anyone other than God. We are to worship God alone . Glory, praise, and honor belong to God alone. Only God is worthy to "...receive glory and honor and power..." (Revelation 4:11). God alone is worthy to receive our worship, adoration, and praise (Nehemiah 9:6; Revelation 15:4). Is worship of saints / Mary Biblical? Those who would defend Roman Catholicism persistently press the illogical and invalid assertion that the Roman cult neither teaches nor in fact practices worship of Mary. They argue that, as concerns Mary and the other ghosts in the RCC pantheon, worship does not mean worship and venerate does not mean worship and render homage does not mean worship and pray to does not mean worship and sacrifice to does not mean worship. Words can be used to convey many meanings, a fact the Magisterium has consistently used to its own purpose. Catholicism's FALSE Worship! How did Jesus instruct us to relate to his Mother? Did he attach any special status to her, during his earthy Ministry?Matthew 12:46-50 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you. He replied to him, Who is my mother , and who are my brothers? Pointing to his disciples, he said, Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother . If you read the Bible, you will find that she isn't even mentioned after Pentecost. Peter did not speak of her in his 2 books (although Catholics claim him as the first Pope), and most notably Paul, who so eloquently and forcibly makes plain the plan of salvation, is absolutely silent about her.NOTE: If Jesus is constantly interceding for us and He is able to save us "to the uttermost," then He doesn't need Mary's help. If we can approach God with "boldness" and "confidence" because of our faith in Jesus, then we don't need Mary's help either. Worship of Mary We shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ, I agree, but instead of worrying about what he says to those who disrespected his Mother, perhaps you should be more concerned about what he will say to those who worshiped her, instead of God. Who depended on her to secure their salvation, instead of Jesus - the only mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 1:5).With Love and Respect,Ken

--
Ken Rich
David Sanchez
David Sanchez
@david-sanchez
15 years ago
33 posts
Not every catholic accepts her as co-redeemer, but as an intercessor? of course, and any christian that cannot wrapp their mind around that should never ask anyone to pray for them it is a complete contradiction, and manipulation of truth. The only argument I have in the past been given is that "well she is dead, and the pastor who prays for you is alive? What! then that leads me to beleive that person does not grasp eternal life or the fact that who is really in a better position to pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death??? I know Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life that is common knowledge, but to say I don't need Mary for intercession with her Son is to say we do not need a pastors prayer, or a brother, or sister in the Lord prayers??? Many truths derived from the bible by all christans are questionable ,and not flat layed out but rather reasonable assumptions. Do I have to everytime I visit someone be reminded to respect their mother because it is not posted at the entrance to their home?? Has anyone ever had to go through mom to get pop to do something?? REASONABLE ASSUMPTION Is Mary mother of Jesus relationship any different with her Son?? I am not indoctronated by any group I am merely looking at things realisticaly. If something is not in print it by no means rules another out. Again the bible is not God's master, only some of His insight to guide us and clearly teaches that we are pitiful at best tring to think for Him, or matter of factly decide what is, and cannot be, not completely anyway.
   / 4  

Tags

Dislike 0